Saturday, June 25, 2011

First Harvest: Cavolo Nero & Celery

This morning I went out to the garden and gathered some greens for my breakfast smoothie.  I like to add some greens in there so I make sure I am getting enough vegetables for the day.  I picked about 8 stems of the Cavolo Nero and a celery stick for good measure.  The leaves of the Cavolo Nero were quite a bit larger than the normal ones I got from the store and even better, I know for sure that they have no pesticides sprayed on them because I grew it.  Best of all, all those nutritional benefits from picking the vegetables and using them immediately. 

Two of the stems of Cavolo Nero went to Daisy for part of her breakfast and the rest went into my blender




Green Breakfast Smoothie
6-10 leaves of Cavolo Nero or Kale
1 stick of celery, including leaves
1 banana
300ml cold water
1 capful vanilla extract
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
2 scoops protein powder

Add water to blender and then banana in small pieces.  Blend.  Add Cavolo Nero, Celery, Peanut Butter and Vanilla extract.  Blend well.  Lastly, add protein powder and blend just enough so it is mixed in well.  Serve immediately.

Serve yours in a beer glass for maximum enjoyment

2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog. What an awesome shake. I'll have to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle, thanks! These smoothies are the best way to get in extra greens.

    ReplyDelete