Thursday, March 10, 2011

Crustless Apple Pie

Gosh I love apples and they're starting to come into season again.  I made a bit of apple sauce last winter and stored it away in my pantry.  I'm just finishing off the last jars now just in time for the next season!

Last night, this is what I had for a treat after work: Spiced Apple Sauce with Whipped Cream on top aka Crustless Apple Pie.


Spiced Apple Sauce
10 medium apples, peeled and chopped
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 cinnamon quills
1 star anise
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cloves (whole)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Put all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook for 12 hours.  Remove cinnamon quills and star anise. Process apple sauce with a hand blender until smooth. Spoon into sterilized jars and seal. 

Serve in a little bowl or ramekin and top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.  Voila!

4 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you any idea how long it would keep in the sterilised jars without refridgeration (and with refridgeration)? Looks like a really good way to deal with a glut of apples, but only if it would then keep for a little while and our freezer isn't particularly big (which is how I used to store stewed fruit when dealing with a glut).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ammi: Mine seem to keep for ages. I don't really keep it longer than a year in storage; so basically I make it near the middle to end of the season then eat it all by the time it comes into season. As for the fridge, I'm not sure really. I've had mine open in the fridge for more than a month and it isn't growing an eye and still tastes good. I think I would consider it similar to a preserve for keeping it open in the fridge.

    I get those special jars that are supposed to be for things like jams etc. and close the jar with the lid, then it "pops" and creates a seal.

    ReplyDelete