Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Productive Evening

I got busy in the kitchen a few nights ago and made a few staples.

First up was almond flour.  Ground almonds are so expensive to purchase at the supermarket compared to making it yourself.  All you need to do is roast the almonds for about 5 to 10 minutes in the oven and then once slightly cooled, put them in the food processor and chop up to a flour consistency.  Voila!  I store mine in a ziploc bag in the pantry.

I then made two types of nut butter: almond and peanut butter.  The method is exactly the same as making nut flour, except you keep it in the food processor for longer.  It takes around 10 minutes in the food processor before you get the butter consistency.  I love making my own because not only is it much more economical, but you know that all that's in the jar is ground up nuts.  A lot of nut butters these days contain extra oil, stabilizers and sugar (ugh).

The last thing I made was natural yogurt.  It was my first time making this and it was a success!  I'm not going to outline how to do this but I will point you to a blog which does.

How to make your own yogurt

The result:

No comments:

Post a Comment