Monday, December 1, 2008

2 Recipes

Not much is happening this week in the way of training. My deadlift meet is this weekend so I won't be training. I may get in a light upperbody workout, but nothing major.

I tried some new recipes today. First one was in preparation of Christmas - Hot Spiced Apple Cider. Even though it's sweltering here, I still like to sample the tastes of the season. In fact, most Christmas recipes aren't suited for hot weather! LOL...

Hot Spiced Apple Cider
2L apple juice
1 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. whole allspice
2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
1/4 c. lightly packed brown sugar
juice of 2 lemons

    Bring ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan. Simmer 30 to 60 minutes. Remove spices. Serve hot in mugs. It tastes even better with whipped cream and caramel sauce on top!


    Another snack I made today was Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip. I couldn't find any blue corn chips at the supermarket I went to, so I had it with baked corn chips and rice crackers instead.

    Hot Spinach And Artichoke Dip
    224 g cream cheese, softened
    60 ml mayonnaise
    25 g grated Parmesan cheese
    30 g grated Romano cheese
    1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    80 g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    30 g shredded mozzarella cheese
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a small baking dish.
      1. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, garlic, basil, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Gently stir in artichoke hearts and spinach.
      2. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
      Yum!

      2 comments:

      1. I love apple cider!!! nom nom nom

        ReplyDelete
      2. I knows! I found a cool drink version today. Basically the same recipe, except cool the drink and serve with lime sprigs. Also an alcoholic version - half a cup each of brandy and cointreau or grand marnier added. I'm so going to try that!

        ReplyDelete