Monday, March 16, 2009

100th Post!

This marks my 100th post and to celebrate, I made a pie!


Well, actually, I made the pie just because I bought a load of pears the other day because they were on special at the supermarket and I needed to use them up.

The pie was really very delicious. There's only like a 1/4 of it left now... haha!

Pear Pie
6 pears, cubed
2/3 cup splenda or your choice or sweetener or even regular sugar
2 Tbsp plain flour
2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp crushed ginger
1 unbaked 9" pie shell or your own pastry lining a 9" pie pan

Mix pears, sugar, flour, citrus juice and ginger in a bowl. Pour into pie shell and back at 190 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.

Most fruit pie recipes have crumble type topping but I decided to make a meringue type topping instead. I used 2 eggs and whipped until they formed still peaks, then added about 1/2 cup of castor sugar and beat it into the egg mixture. About 10 minutes before the pie was done I took it out of the oven and smothered on the meringue mixture and baked for a further 10 minutes.

This weekend has been pretty relaxing. I still have another day to go before my weekend is officially over. I only worked half a day this Saturday and Saturday night we went out for dinner. I had Barramundi (fish) baked with lemon butter sauce, chips and salad. The lemon butter sauce did not fare well in my tummy. An hour later after sitting in pain I absolutely had to go to the toilet. It happens a lot actually, any time I eat something very creamy or buttery or fatty that I don't usually eat, I get the runs really bad (TMI, sorry). I hate my stomach sometimes - it's either bloated or complaining about something I ate.

Anyway, after dinner we went to the bar for beers, conversation and people watching. Met up with a few friends and stumbled home about 1am. Today, I woke up about 8am and really didn't do anything all day. Just read blogs and napped and watched a bit of TV. I found some nice recipes that I want to try out too.

No training at all this weekend. I was meant to go to the gym yesterday to get in an upper body workout and cardio - that never happened. Today I thought I'd go for cardio and that never happened either - just wasn't in the mood for it. Not to worry, I did need a rest as I have been feeling very tired lately.

I still have some pears here that I will use tomorrow. I'm thinking of making chicken, pear and walnut salad for lunch. Also, I found a few soup recipes I want to try. One is an avocado soup the other is a mushroom and walnut soup. Yum! I also just acquired a Ginger Pear Pumpkin Soup recipe... I do have some pumpkin in the fridge too. Oh, the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment